History of the School
The School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering was formally founded by Professor Willoughby in 1946, however courses were run in conjunction with other schools for a number of years before that. It initially offered an undergraduate program leading to the Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical). Over the years the curriculum has evolved with changing technology but has retained its essential nature as a broad curriculum founded on a strong basis of science, maths and technology principles.
In 1983 the name of this degree, along with the name of the Department were changed to Electrical and Electronic Engineering, recognising the importance of electronic technologies in its research and teaching. The Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Systems) program was introduced in 1990 and the Bachelor of Engineering (Information Technology and Telecommunications) was introduced in 1996. This was renamed Bachelor of Engineering (Telecommunications) in 2005 to reflect a shift in emphasis in its curriculum.
Over the many years of joint and sole operation, staff and students in The School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering have achieved many great things, with the first prize being awarded over a century ago, in 1901.